Wednesday 15 April 2020

Reading Material

I'm not finding that I get much extra time for reading these days.  Keeping up with the schooling schedule is actually very time consuming and when the daylight hours are available I love to be in the garden.  Monday, I finished reading American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins and I'm highly recommending this book.  It's a story of Mexican migrants trying to get into the USA and it's a "downer" in every way except one.  (No spoiler here).   It's probably not something a lot of people would want to read at a time like this one.  However, it can really put the perspective of gratitude into your life - your life is so MUCH better than what those characters experience every day.  It's a MUST READ for everyone whenever it suits. 



A word about reading on a tablet.  There's lots I like about it - the good light and the convenience.  What frustrates me is that you never know what someone is reading.  It's such a good conversation-starter.  Dave does nothing but read on a tablet so I never know what he's reading unless he actually answers my questions.  He did recommend The Feather Thief by Kirk Wallace Johnson and I've just started reading it.  More on that later.  I searched the house for things I'd like to read and have found 3 books that I want to revisit or read for the first time - Orwell's Buramese Days, Daniel Martin by John Fowles and Love in the Time of Cholera.  For those of you who read American Dirt, you'll know why I want to read the Marquez. 


No comments: