Monday 13 April 2020

Easter Scavenger Hunt

I've been out of blogging for several years and many of you will not know that Dave and I purchased a home in Trail, BC near the end of 2017.  It's got a flat lot, it's an old veterans' neighbourhood (just like Montgomery) and we're right next to one of my favourite North American rivers, The Columbia.  We're working on the house - it's totally functional - built in 1949 for the original part, and it's been extended in 3 directions and we're not exactly sure when.  It's a lovely little neighbourhood with all these older homes which are very slowly being gentrified.   We bought it in order to have a place to stay when we wanted to see the grandkids - there's only so many times you want to impose on your kids and we like having our own space. The home in Kaslo is still in our principal domicile.   Since the purchase, however, "life has happened" in my extended family and I haven't spent nearly as much time here as I intended.  And now we have travel restrictions.  But we came here to plant the garden.  Trail has very hot summers and it's a great place to garden.  There's a big ugly lead smelter in town which makes real estate pretty cheap.  Andrea works in environmental clean up and the lead level testing that has shown up in vegetable produce grown here is diminishing all the time.  We're old so we don't worry too much about that.  

Yesterday we had our grandsons riding around the neighbourhood on bikes, looking for clues, to finally be rewarded with a bag full of apples (and a couple of Easter treats).  It was fun making it up and I hardly saw them on most of the hunt because they can ride way faster than me and aren't afraid of the short cuts down dirt trails.  I'm on a skinny tire bike (my Dad's old bike which I brought home from Saanichton when we closed the estate last winter) and love to stick with the pavement.  Here we are enjoying treats in the back garden on a sunny Easter Sunday!




No comments: