Sunday 19 April 2020

Online Bridge

Many of you know that I am a bridge enthusiast.  I've been resisting renewing my membership with the American Contract Bridge League (partly it's the name) because I didn't want to let myself get addicted to getting Master Points and worrying about how many I had compared to everyone else.  It didn't totally prevent bridge anxiety for me.  Well, now the only way that I can play bridge is to play online and I rather like it.  I've been playing a bit with my regular partner from Argenta - yes, the wee Quaker refuge of Argenta on the north end of Kootenay Lake actually has online bridge happening, and I've played with  my brother-in-law in Wetaskiwin, AB.  It's been a bit of a crapshoot and we haven't done well (either pairing), but it's been fun.  There's a thing called Support Your Club where part of your fee goes to your own duplicate bridge club.  It isn't enough.  They just put the fee up to $6 USD.  Today, Phil and I tried Speedball Bridge for 12 boards.  We get 48 minutes to play 12 boards.  We didn't find the time a problem at all in this match.  Our bidding was just way too conservative.  The good features of online bridge - you can play a "short game", you don't have to listen to your partner natter at you about your errors, it's quiet, and if there is time between boards, you can play a piece or two on the piano. (If you piano is conveniently located next to your computer!)

No comments: