Sunday 11 March 2007

Spring in the Kootenays

It must be spring in the Kootenays. We've been getting some sun from time to time and the snow is disappearing. Today it stayed at a steady plus 5 degrees and it rained all day. We couldn't see the lake today for most of the day. I went for a hike along the Kaslo River in mid-afternoon but it's still pretty icy and snowy. The river is looking muddy. It must be spring.

Another thing that was "springish" about today - the men's final in the Brier. Unfortunately, Ontario won once again - I was cheering for Manitoba who placed 3rd, but in the final, of course I wanted NL. They hung in there until the 9th end. A funny thing that happened is a friend called me to find out what happened in the Brier - I've become a bit of a sports expert here in Pine Ridge, I guess!

A good thing to do on a dreary day today is to bake a cake - I'm catching up with you Julie. I've tried lots of new recipes and today made a Buttermilk Apple Cake. I am about to try a taste of it as I watch more British tv - tonight is Doc Martin. Earlier tonight we enjoyed Foyle's War which is one of my favourites. In spite of the later dark time we stayed huddled in our basement, close to the fire to watch TV. With the time change and dark not arriving until after 7 p.m. it just has to be spring in the Kootenays.

No comments: