Friday 23 March 2007

The Car


I drove to Castlegar yesterday to pick up my car with a big wad of cash in an envelope. First I had to go to Kootenay Credit Union to cash one of my CSBs. I always thought a CSB was as good as cash. I called several banks in Nelson and they wouldn't cash it. They told me I'd have to go to my own bank. Another comment is that two banks did not allow me to talk to a REAL person after going through about 12 options. The problem with my bank is that it is located about another 80 min. drive past Nelson so it's not environmentally friendly. I do almost ALL my banking online these days but cash is actually used as a currency in the Kootenays. People like it here. The seller wanted cash. Hurrah for Kootenay CU who liked me 'cause I was a local.

So how did the "gentleman's agreement" work out? Well, when I called him back someone had offered him $200 more for the car and he wanted to sell to her. I told him I'd match that price. Then I thought about it some more - after all, I had expected to pay the $200 extra for the car because I expected that to be his counter offer on my offer. Then I called him back to check that he'd talked to the other buyer and that the price wouldn't be more the next day. I also reminded him about the "gentleman's agreement". Everything went smoothly at the insurance place and I bought a temporary permit to bring it home. I still have my big van but we need it for another month to get stuff home from my folks "downsizing" to a condo. So I don't plan to register this car for another month.

So have I made a good deal? Well, it seems to run really well and we took it around our curvy, rock strewn roads in a rain last night. So far, so good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right -- it is a great colour! What could be more important?
Cheers, Gayla