Saturday 28 May 2011

Britain 2011: The Allotments

Here's a picture of the community gardens in Berwick-upon-Tweed, more commonly referred to as an "allotment". Just before leaving the UK I read an article stating that 90,000 people are on waiting lists to get allotments throughout England and the waiters may have to be patient for 40 years before their turn will arrive! I have no idea how much one must pay to "rent" the land in these community gardens. I recognize how lucky I am to live in Canada with vast amounts of empty space and I have had the joy of looking after pretty good-sized gardens for the past 20 years. It was wonderful to see the British dedication to gardening and I hope that people will have shorter "wait times" because everyone deserves the right to grow food.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: