Tuesday 22 February 2011

Desert Hiking

Trail signs at Big Bend were cut into a metal frame which seemed to be a really good way to keep signs visible through hours, days and years of bright sunshine. I've really enjoyed hiking in the desert - much more than I thought that I ever would. A couple of things I think are essential about hiking - bring lots of water because there's rarely water to be found and wear long pants. I'm not the smoothest of walkers and tend to get looking at things, lose my balance readily, and brush up against plants. This is something you never want to do in the desert because almost every plant has thorns or prickly bits. Even with the heat, long sleeves are probably a good idea, too, although in the winter, I was able to roll up my sleeves many times. Don't forget your hat either; I had brought my tuque on our trip and had to purchase something with a big brim while at Big Bend.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: