Thursday 3 February 2011

Best of America #4: Roads

I'm always amazed at how much better the US roads are than those we have in Canada. We just spent 1.5 days travelling the I-15 which really ought to be a toll highway so that the Canadians who use it at least pay for some of it! There's construction near Salt Lake City which is a bit of a nightmare - they do ask everyone to slow down to 65 mph through it - but the rest of the road is in great shape. The traffic almost disappears after the junction with the I-84 north of Salt Lake and stays that way until the junction with the I-90 at Butte. Snow and ice did cover one lane of the I-90 on Tuesday so we opted for state highway 200 to get us to Sandpoint. Other than some ice in the shady spots, it was in really good shape. I do think that permitting 70 mph on a two-lane highway with no shoulder is excessive, however. MT was cold with brilliant blue skies as we came north. I'm finding that I can even sleep in the rest areas now on the interstates - had one of my best sleeps "south" just off the I-10 near Las Cruces, NM. All that traffic simply becomes more white noise to lull one to sleep.

No comments: