Tuesday 8 January 2008

Up To Town Girl

My bike has been safely stowed in the garden shed for over a month now. In my continuing effort to reduce driving, I'm now a regular walker to town. To do this, I walk about .5 km uphill to the forest and enjoy a 40 minute walk into town. Because I walk "up" the lake (northerly direction), the title today seemed appropriate. There's one spot on the route which seems to regularly get clear skies. Some of the conditions this past few days have been interesting - we had rain on Friday and a good high temperature on Saturday but Sat. was my most difficult walk - a sheet of ice in some areas - covered with water. During the last two days I've had to deke out to the highway for the long downhill because the other road is far too icy. When the Purcells are visible the gravel road behind the golf course is the most majestic part of the trip - absolutely breathtaking. I'm pleased to see myself continuing to do the walk even with the ice - I take two ski poles to help on the journey but it's probably time to get a pair of those slip-on crampons. More snow is scheduled for today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice view!!!. I have an extra pair of those shoe/boot spikythings. I bought a second pair because I lost one from the first pair and then found it in the spring...under a snowbank.
I will send you a pair.
Don't slip on the ice
Hugs Marilyn

Jan and Ken Stirling said...

Hi Catherine
For our 25th Anniversary we skiied into Skoki lodge behind Lake Louise. It was very tough for me and we did not have skins...just stamina and huffing. Have you been there? The photos look great and I love the Christmas Bouquet!I do enjoy reading your blog.
Happy New Year
Jan