Tuesday 1 January 2008

OFR and NFR


The holiday season is the time for traditions and lots of eating and I thought it was time to write about both of those items. One thing I'd love to see become a regular tradition is the purchase of a Christmas bouquet like the one pictured at right. I got this bouquet from my kids and son-in-law on December 24th. It just looks so good and I've loved having it as part of a new tradition.
The title of today's blog refers to an old family recipe which continues to be a success. I'm referring to Texas Beans. I'm not sure where my Mum found this recipe, but I know that it's a hit all the time. I served it at a dinner party in mid-December and everyone loved it around our Christmas table. It's super simple - take a large package of frozen snapped beans (and if they are 10 metre beans from the summer garden it's even better) and spread half out in a shallow dish. Add a layer of sliced onion and top that with one tin of mushroom soup. Repeat and then add lots of grated cheese to the top. Bake for about 90 min at 350.
A new family recipe (nfr) that I tried out this year was one for sticky toffee pudding as a Christmas dessert. I got the recipe from the December '06 issue of Chatelaine. It was a hit and perhaps another new tradition has begun. Hope all of you enjoyed the feasts and traditions of the season - both old and new.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

Happy New Year :) The weather over in your spot sounds so nice; I wish it was like that here as well! Lots of love from all of us!