Sunday 21 October 2007

Holes



I got thinking today about Louis Sachar's novel, Holes, because a big part of my life has been about digging them, and now, filling them. I think I've dug 14 holes for our deck posts and then did four more for the garden shed that we put up this summer. I must say that those four were the easiest holes to dig on this here acreage!
We've had a big hole at our water connection ever since we moved here and last month the PRWUS (Pine Ridge Water Users Society) approved the purchase of fill for this hole. Yesterday when I arrived home I was a bit dismayed to discover that the truck couldn't back the fill INTO the hole (too many trees in this part of the country) so I get to fill it by hand. Our one and only bobcat neighbour moved out last year! Anyway, this is sand and I actually filled about half the hole this p.m. in about 20 minutes. Unlike the kids in the novel, Holes, our newly dug holes have had a purpose and I think we're getting to the last two of them as I started to dig holes for the gateposts this past week.