Wednesday 31 October 2007

The Graves in the Forest




This afternoon, Dave and I went to Ainsworth and hiked to the Ainsworth Historical Cemetery. The gates pictured here show the roadway out of the cemetery and many of the graves have these white picket fences around them. I like the historical marker, located slightly away from the "consecrated" graves. Here lie the remains of 5 suicides who were not allowed to be buried in the other part of the cemetery. The last one was laid to rest here in 1917.
Exploring a little further, we found a trail called the Cedar Creek Trail and could have gone on for ages but had a nice walk to the creek and past lots of mining tailings and equipment. I can't think of a better way to spend Hallowe'en than visiting a graveyard and its environs. Can you?

2 comments:

Jan and Ken Stirling said...

Yes a great way to spend Halloween. we had fewer Trickor Treaters than in previous years. Our neighgbourhood is getting older!! I am glad that people who die from suicides are now allowed full buriel rites. Some religions still have a hard time with this.
Jan

Anonymous said...

Not to be callous but it seems to me to no longer be a world where there are absolutes. Myself I enjoy Halloween as it is my bit=rthdate. I have been to so called Ghost towns where even the grave markers have been removeed by the locals to build foundations for their barns and even houses. One such place I visited years ago in central Montana once had a population of over 24,ooo. The the mine failed and the towns folk moved on leaving the town to disolve back to nature. The only buildings standing in 1963 were the general store/mortuary and the remains of the Methodist Church. A friend of mine at the time a Mr. Todd Lincoln and I went looking for the cemetery and found nothing realy visible except that his car started to bounce in a peculiar way. Thatbis where we found the old corner markers for the graves.