Saturday 13 June 2020

Second Campout

I can't even provide a picture for this second campout of the summer.  I should have taken a picture when we stopped at Gilpin Grasslands Provincial Park near Grand Forks because that was the only sunshine we saw.  We decided not to take the camper van onto a rather rough road but we did stop and read the signs.  We were welcomed by several bighorn sheep.  We did discover another little provincial park across the highway - Bouswater/Okanogan Oxbow Park which is tiny,  but was full of bird life.  We saw turkey vultures very close to us.  The Kettle River was flowing quickly and we saw a lovely turtle on the road - most likely a Western Painted Turtle.  We spent our first night about 40 km north of Grand Forks at a Recreation Site on the Granby River and the next morning saw a moose cross the Granby on our way south.

I have always wanted to see Jewel Lake Provincial Park because I've been past the sign so many times - it's 15 km north of Highway 3.  The road is very driveable but I was disappointed that the campground isn't right on the lake.  Bird life there was very good, too, and we saw our first black-backed woodpecker.  If you don't fish, and it was too cold and buggy for swimming, I wouldn't recommend this park.  For a BC provincial park it was a little underwhelming.  I did discover an old Girl Guide Camp, Camp Bonnett, which was a very nice location, but I'm pretty sure has been abandoned.  It definitely had lots of damage done to the "lodge".  It was established in 1971 and I don't know how long its  managed to exist.  I know that GG and Brownies and Scouts, etc is kind of a bygone thing.  

We headed home via Trail and I had another reasonably good bird walk at Nancy Greene Lake.  The temperature was plus 5!

No comments: