Wednesday 6 May 2020

Nelson, BC

Yesterday, I had an appointment in Nelson and had to do the drive to town.  I have to say that visiting Nelson in spring and fall is a joyful thing to do.  There are a lot of flowering trees in town and they look stunning!  It's a very steep place to take a walk but good exercise.  Generally, walking in spring and fall is the good thing that I have found about Nelson.

Nelson has a reputation of being a "cool" town and seems to be a sort of mecca for lots of people.  When I first moved here I thought it was a place that might be a better "fit" for me.  I don't think so.  Real estate in Nelson is very overpriced and I understand that the property taxes are pretty high although I've never investigated it.  What I would say is that real estate is "difficult" in Nelson.  Much of it is located on very steep hills and I'm not of an age where it is easy to park a car on a steep hill and have to carry my groceries into my home.  So many homes don't seem to have "parking" and outdoor adventure equipment can be found in the oddest places.  

For the past couple of years Nelson has been doing some major infrastructure work on its main route through town.  People from Kaslo make weekly trips to Nelson, although I don't think they are doing that now.  I drive through Nelson and rarely stop.  Now that the main drag is once again torn up I'm very glad to NOT be making the trip through Nelson.  I do know of an alternate route that climbs above the construction and will come out on the highway to Salmo which will be my route this summer.  In my opinion, Nelson is a beautiful town, but overrated.

Dogwood tree in bloom in Gyro Park in Nelson 


Interesting bird accommodation at a Nelson home.  

No comments: