Tuesday 24 August 2010

Litterbugs

This morning I took a walk with the pack, along with a bag for some garbage that I'd spotted on my last bike trip into town. I walked through the woods, which were litter free, thankfully. I walked u back along the highway to "my" road, approximately 1 km and I picked up 13 beer cans, 3 pop cans, and 3 recyclable plastic bottles. I didn't pick up other garbage, mostly paper coffee cups. I've asked some of my friends out here if they remember the 1961 film, "Litterbug", starring Donald Duck. Most of them don't. I remember it quite distinctly from my childhood (I was 10 when it came out). It seems to me that I learned that littering was something that was WRONG. Why is it that 2.5 generations later, I walk along a piece of highway with this much garbage?? And I know that this piece of highway is relatively clean compared to what's really out there. Where are we going with this, humans?

No comments: