Wednesday 6 August 2008

The Contemplative Hiker


On Monday I was out with the "Sunday Hikers" and our objective was the peak on the left side of the picture. This scramble was too much for me. I managed to do a wee bit of a bushwack and then had to cross a boulder field, never my strongest mountaineering skill. I could tell that I was holding up the group. Following lunch, I opted to return to the lovely lake in the picture (Shannon Lake), north of New Denver in the Slocan Valley. I always carry a book with me wherever I go so I spent a couple of hours contemplating the mountains and reading a good selection of short stories. I had to do a wee bit of route finding on my way out and felt pretty good about how I handled my lone time in the wilderness. The guys who did make it to the summit didn't get back to the car until nearly 6:30 so we had a fairly long day.

Today the Wednesday Walkers did a brisk 13 km up Keen Creek Forest Service Road - love a hike along a lovely creek with lots of old growth cedar visible along the route. It's also a very cool place to be on a hot summer day. The other thing I love is that some of these hikers are in their late 60's and can walk with the best of them!

No comments: