Wednesday 20 August 2008

115 Deadfalls On The Trail, 115 Deadfalls on the Trail....


Monday I did a very challenging hike for me and I have the battle scars to prove it. We travelled up the Glacier Creek FS Road - one of the most scenic forest service roads we've found in the Koots so far - and hiked into MacBeth Icefield. We didn't make it. The weather was relatively cool to start and the hike up through the valley is pretty long but quite flat. It's a pretty good trail. As we started the uphill part, more and more windblown trees crossed our paths. When we got to the steep part of the trail, even more blowdowns covered our path. As a bit of a compulsive counter, I decided to count them on the way down. Yes, 115, so I couldn't help but think of the old song about beer bottles. We reached this viewpoint of the MacBeth waterfalls cascading down the cliff. It was too hot to really think about being this high up and crossing the moraine to get to the glacier view. So if I want to see that I guess I get to try 115 deadfalls on the trail again!

No comments: