Wednesday 25 April 2012

Lake Powell

 I've always had a difficult time even thinking of Lake Powell, but after spending nearly a week in Page, AZ, I got used to it and enjoyed looking at the remaining visible rock formations.  This is "Castle Rock" near Wahweep.  We stayed out at Wahweep campground, about 5 km from Page, for 3 nights and I loved watching the light on the lake and the rock.  It's an okay place to visit in March when it's not busy.  It's impossible to take a picture without all the houseboats in the photo, but I only ever saw ONE active boat on the water during our 4 days there.  I guess I'd have to say I'm somewhat resigned to Lake Powell, partly through the help of one Gary Ladd who wrote a book called Lake Powell Unchained  that I discovered in the Page Library.  As he states, there would have been infrastructure built without the dam, although it's obvious the dam changed the environment more than a few roads and trails.  It does have a kind of beauty but that "bathtub ring" is always visible.  The things humans have done to the Colorado!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: