Sunday 27 March 2011

It's Here

I know that my prairie readers have expressed some dismay at the fact that our snow has pretty much disappeared - at least in our garden. Residents of Upper Kaslo continue to wait patiently for a chance to get into their gardens. Yesterday, I planted peas, sweet peas, spinach and lettuce. I wouldn't normally start things quite this early (the soil is still very cool), but with our departure for Britain not too far away, I needed to get some seeds in the ground.

A garden photo is going too far, but the daffs are up a few cm and the crocus and hellebores have flowers on them - if the sun gets out, they may even open. The pulmonaria are growing and have flower buds and the first tulips are beginning to emerge. Actually, most of my perennials look as if they have survived. This is one thing I do like about gardening here - as soon as the snow has melted, you can pretty much tell what is alive! I've got a couple of doubtful looking shrubs, but the daphne actually has a couple of blooms on it and plum prunings that I brought inside two weeks ago are in flower.

Happy Spring, gardeners! Oh to go to England, now that April is near.

No comments: