Monday 20 October 2008

ID


This post has nothing to do with ego or anything related to it. I planned to write about Idaho because I enjoyed our travels through it last week. I was referring to Lewis and Clark as "the boys" before we left - I loved visiting the Salmon River which Clark decided was not a viable route to the west. We didn't get to see it in its fury, but I'd like to explore this area - it's absolute wilderness - south of the Salmon is an area called the River of No Return. Sagajewa was supposed to be born in Idaho - here's a picture of her supposed birthplace. She's another example of the old adage about women being the sucess behind a man - or men, in this case.

One thing that I've been curious about with Idaho is that Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove, Last Picture Show) refuses to go there because it is the headquarters of the Aryan Nation. Today I decided to google that information - yes, the headquarters are in Hayden, ID. Looking at the 2 sites that I chose to click on I was met with these slogans: "Stop the Hate - Segregate" and "The Whitest Website on Earth". I refuse to provide any links to these sites and I'd have to say that Larry is on to something.


No comments: