Sunday 2 September 2007

100-Mile Diet


I just finished reading The 100-Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon. I really liked the book because to me it was much more than a book about eco-friendly eating. It was all about being eco-friendly generally. It has made me think more about the food around me and I know that I've made the commitment to eat much less red meat. That has been a part of my life for at least two years now. Thanks to Andrea for the introduction to veggie protein as a ground beef substitute. I tend to have time to make soups from scratch more than I did while working so it is something I do now, at least in the winter. I won't be going to the extremes that the authors went to and I know that I'm not prepared to give up eating chicken and meat entirely. I want to grow more of my own food and there seems to be lots of local produce available here that people are willing to share. Which reminds me, it's time to get the handpicked plums out of the canner.

No comments: