Sunday 20 May 2007

Reader Anxiety

This morning on CBC's radio program "Sunday Morning" there was a panel speaking about reading, reading habits and what they called "reader anxiety". I'd have to say that I think I have suffered from reader anxiety from time to time in my life - there's just so many good books out there and so little time to read them all. When I was working I'd read book reviews to get an idea about some of the books "out there" and sometimes felt as if I'd almost read the book. I'm happy to say that I seem to be over my reader anxiety. This may come from the fact that I have more time and my new location has a very small library. I'm reading more than ever and three books a week is a pretty good average. I also have the entire provincial library system at my disposal and do use it. Why am I no longer anxious about getting "everything" read? I don't know but I do know that I'm relaxed about just reading what I find anywhere.

The panel this a.m. also spoke about reading "must reads" that they've hated, etc. Everyone said they read several books at one time. I do that too. I usually have a non-fiction on the go, although my preference is for fiction. I'm continuing to read books for the 10 - 15 set and always enjoy them. I just started reading Jan Wong's Red China Blues this morning prior to this discussion. It's a book that I read a review about over 10 years ago and knew that I "should" read this book. I never got around to it. It's in my local library and our book group is reading a biography/autobiography to share with the others. This will probably be my book. I've only read one chapter but I love it and it's a book that relates very well to my generation.

I talked to Andrea bout this (Happy Birthday, Andrea) and she said she feels reader anxiety. As long as you love what you read, keep doing it. I give up on books - one after 400/500 pages - but I'm going to keep reading whatever I like and I never intend to be anxious about the should reads. Happy armchair travelling and adventuring, readers!

1 comment:

Nancy Jean said...

great blog.
i suffer from reader anxiety for sure. i started Red China Blues this winter too (and quite liked the beginning), but was side tracked by a couple others i was into. i am going to put it on 'the list' (im feeling anxious already!) for this summer :)
happy reading!
NjB
p.s. had a really fun visit with your daughter - caught her on her birthday too! (and my half birthday...there is a 6 month difference in our bdays.)