Monday 12 November 2012

Remembrance Day

I attended a Remembrance Day ceremony for the first time in many years, although it's not a foreign occasion to me because I organized so many assemblies on the subject in Saskatoon.  Yesterday, we had good weather for the event although probably the smartest thing I did was make sure that I wore long underwear because I knew we'd be standing near our breezy lake.  The laying of the wreaths took longer than I anticipated.  The views to the Purcells were spectacular.  We then marched back to the Legion Hall and that's the first time I've been in the building for a "formal" presentation.  The choir that I attend sang a couple of numbers; I think we were passable, but have sung the selections better in rehearsal.  It was a bit reassuring to see so many young people in attendance because I often wonder what the future of this day holds with my parents' generation, who participated in WWII, now in their 80's and 90's.

No comments: