Monday 6 February 2012

Reducing the Carbon Footprint

I know we're not really supposed to fly places if we really want to reduce our carbon footprint so this Friday I'm attempting to reduce my environmental impact by only taking a plane from Trail to Vancouver. From there, I intend to use public transit, taking the Sky Train from YVR to the bus and then carrying on to the ferry terminal to get to the Island. The internet states that this should add about 90 minutes of time to my trip. As well, I'll have a little over 90 minutes on the ferry. This same thing could be accomplished by about a 12 minute flight to the Victoria airport. The option that I am attempting on Friday is certainly cheaper, but will add a lot of travel time to my day. I'm hoping the public transit facilities work well that day. Has anyone had any experience with getting from YVR to the ferry terminal?

2 comments:

mb said...

Sorry to not comment sooner.....I haven't taken the bus from the airport, and its been years since I made the trip to Victoria by transit. But every time I've done so it's worked really well. Translink connections work out well on the Vancouver side, and the Victoria bus meets the ferry on the Island. The PCL bus is faster, particularly on the Vancouver side. If you catch Translink to the ferry terminal on the Vancouver side, its not really worth getting a ticket on the PCL bus once you cross because the time difference is small. Of course, having luggage might change your opinion of the matter!

mb said...

I'm not sure if this is a duplicate comment....the blogger interface is annoying. I haven 't made the trip to Victoria by bus for a few years, but my experience is that both translink and PCL buses work well for the trip. Good travels!