Friday 23 July 2010

#3: Mt. Jardine

Here's our group on the summit of Mt. Jardine - it doesn't look like much of a summit and I'm not in the picture but I did take the photo. We started off from the trailhead at 9 a.m. with a warning that this might not even be a trail. We'd been told that it could be a bushwhack up to one of the old original mines that opened up the area. Well, we found a trail right off the forest service road and it was a darn good trail. I never dreamed I'd get a chance to do another summit but we were at the top within four hours. I'd seen this summit from Mt. Schroeder two weeks prior to this hike and this mountain is supposed to be 100m higher. There was enough deadfall on this trail that I did count the trees across the trail - there were 88 of them but they weren't nearly as onerous as the ones on MacBeth Icefield Trail in 2008 (see August, 2008 115 Deadfalls on the Trail). Thanks to Steve, Tom and Jane for their encouragement.

My next trick is to hopefully get up Mt. Loki, the highest peak in this area, and named for the Norse god of Mischief. It's still got a fair bit of snow on the ridge so we're watching it.