Tuesday 27 May 2008

Singing To the Best of Them


Many of you readers probably don't know who this is - Arlo Guthrie of Alice's Restaurant fame. Last Saturday I went to a good old-fashioned sing-a-long with 30 other people. What a good time we had! A group of Kaslovians gets together once a month with one top-notch pianist, a couple of guitars and a couple of harmonicas. I know that it helped that the woman who hosted us had a baby grand piano and an even grander view of the Purcells and Kootenay Lake. We sat in a big circle; there's a super songbook and everyone picked a song. It was when the woman next to me picked "City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie, that I knew that I was in the right place. I, of course, selected Connie Kaldor's "Saskatoon Moon", but we sang from Gilbert and Sullivan, Flanders and Swann, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, and another of my favourites, Stan Rogers. I know that next time I'm aiming to pick "Rise Again". The other neat thing about this event is that it was totally alcohol-free. I haven't had such a good time in ages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome. For next time, the Stan Rogers song you are referring to is called "The Mary Ellen Carter". Unless you want to blow them away with some Guns n' Roses. "Sweet Child o' Mine" is truly a great song.