Sunday 13 April 2008

It's the Journey, Not the Destination

We actually had a couple of days this past week when it began to feel a tiny bit like spring. I went to work for 3 days and on two of those days it wasn't snowing in the early a.m. so I ventured out on my bike. This ride is pretty cool in the mornings but not in a bad way. It got me thinking about my other journeys to work over the past few years. In Saskatoon, it often was a long, cold ride in spring. I always liked the ride, however, because while riding to and from work I felt that I got a sense of the seasons instead of having them simply slip by and be finished before I'd even noticed. In the Isle of Man, I got a 15 min. walk along the Irish Sea and stone walls with sheep grazing behind them in order to pick up my ride into Douglas each day. Here, I sometimes get a 40 minute ferry ride to get to the other side of the lake.

While riding into Kaslo in a couple of more weeks I could easily begin to encounter bears and I usually see deer in our neighbourhood every day. The resident coyote family hasn't shown itself yet. I did notice that the swamp lanterns (or skunk cabbage if you prefer it) are starting to grow and a wee bit of yellow from the future flower is showing itself. It all makes for interesting every day journeys that are so enjoyable, even if one is going to work!

No comments: