Sunday 24 February 2008

USNPS


During our travels south I kept thinking that I really needed to blog about the U.S. National Parks Service. I love it! The parks in the U.S. bring me back to wonderful young adult memories of what national parks are supposed to be - what Canada had in the '60's and '70's. Whatever happened to us?
Attending an "evening program" in Death Valley National Park, which was basically an introduction to western parks of the United States, I realized just how many parks in that country I have actually visited. Not a single one has disappointed me. They have a neat little thing called a "passport" to the parks and I wish I'd bought myself one last year. I'd have had dozens of stamps by now. As a kid this would have been something that I'd have cherished. What a great idea.
This year, we found most of the parks are at least encouraging minimal recycling (aluminum and glass) and we never found any unclean, unkept parks. The trails were in great shape, the staff was helpful and well-informed and the campgrounds (where they exist) were well-maintained and thoughtful of privacy.
Volunteers are a big part of the parks and at a time when seniors are ruling the world this can be a bit of a drawback. In Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument we were almost too welcomed by the information and directions given by the senior volunteers working at the campground registration desk. However, the next day, the volunteer who accompanied our guided desert walk knew her plants and birds much better than the guide! I say hurrah for the USNPS and its high standards - keep up the good work!

No comments: