Wednesday 8 August 2012

Rethinking Hemerocallis

 I can't quite believe that this is happening to me but I'm actually getting to the point where I no longer want to deadhead my daylilies!!  I have so many blooms this year and I can't keep ahead of it all.  I was busy picking off buds affected with the gall midge and now I have so many dead blooms.  The only way to really keep these garden plants looking super is to deadhead them daily.  I'm no longer willing to do that.  It takes me at least 45 minutes to get it done and there's too many other things to do.  With a few of the large-flowered types it really is essential, and I try to get those done, but in my garden there are many flower buds withering in the sun and summer breezes.  I'm actually looking forward to the season ending.  The daylilies are great in covering wide expanses of the border but it's time to rethink how I am going to redo the garden - the time has come to redesign the borders!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: