Monday 3 January 2011

Simplicity

I've been out on the back country skis a couple of times this season, but most of the time it's a matter of putting on the cross-country gear or wearing snowshoes. I've got to say that I love the simplicity of the "light" skis and the snowshoes. There's a couple of things to load into the car, about 2 minutes of equipment attire to put on, and you're off. On Dec. 29th, we skied with the "heavy" skis and not using the skidoo did make the procedure pretty simple. I was afraid to ski the cutblock because there wasn't a ton of snow on it, but Andrea and Demitri sure make it look easy! I chose to keep walking up the FS road and enjoyed the ski down in deep enough powder to keep easy control. Every time I go out with only a small amount of equipment, I reflect on how much I enjoy the simpler experience without a lot of extra gear. The snow here is pretty good because the colder weather has made it light and fluffy. The walks through the woods are wintery and exquisite.

No comments: