Sunday 11 November 2007

The Poppy Blows


This may be considered to be a bit of a brag, but it isn't really. My Icelandic poppy has really struggled through much of the year. I had a few nice flowers early in the season with some great colours. It wasn't long, however, before something was eating all the buds and later, anything that did open was pretty much insect damaged. This little guy opened four days ago. So to all my prairie readers, yes, it is pretty awesome to have a poppy blooming in the garden on Nov. 11. I also have a Japanese anenome that's in bloom and one very small heather. This just seemed like a suitable post for Nov. 11 and made me think of the poem even though I only have one lone poppy.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

Ah, In Flanders Field....the ultimate classic in postwar litterature!