Monday 30 July 2007

HP

I finished the latest Harry Potter (HP) yesterday and have spent a bit of time reflecting about it. I'd just seen the latest HP movie while in Calgary, which I did enjoy, and I couldn't help thinking that maybe the events that happened in the last book were related to the movie release. There seemed to be several reminders about things that had happened in previous books, all related to The Order of the Phoenix and my cynical side always looks at how people like to make money. I did enjoy the book, although my major prediction - that Harry Potter would die - did not turn out. I predicted that because I thought Rowling would like to be rid of this character and if she killed him off she wouldn't have to do another novel along this line. Memories of Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, I guess, or so I've heard. Someone asked me what I thought about the novel when I was about half-way through it. I said that I was ready for it to be over - too much of the same old thing, but the writing was good. I've found that to be true for me for the last 3 novels - more of the same old thing - but then the last 100 pages have gripped me. I didn't really get gripped this time. I'd have to say that I was a bit disappointed. The epilogue and the finale were just a little too "neat" for my taste and after giving the readers all kinds of examples of the evil in the world, it seems as if Harry has defeated all of that and everyone is still pretty happy 19 years later. Hmmm. It ain't the real world, and I guess Rowling never intended it to be that. Me, I like my realism and I'm currently enjoying my latest Inspector Banks called Playing With Fire.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad they saved the HP book for you. I was starting to think I should worry about you but flipped over to Dave's blog and he didn't seem worried so decided I wouldn't either. I had forgotten that you were going to be away as long as you were. Today we have a break from the heat with a little rain and a temperature of 19C. No one will complain about that. Take care. Gayla

Jasmine said...

I was disappointed in the ending, especially with all the "escape" scenes a la James Bond. However, it's good to keep in mind that the whole Harry Potter series was destined for children. Ah well, at least he's happy with Ginny!

Your niece, Jasmine

Anonymous said...

I liked the epilogue because it was exactly what I predicted it would be - Harry and Ginny seeing off their own children to Hogwarts. I thought the chapter with Harry heading into (what he thought was) death was very well-written, and the Snape twist was fantastic (although I really need to look back and see if his actions through the books were all justified). Anyway, they're just fun books to read, and escapism isn't a bad thing.

Andi and Demi said...

I actually really liked the last few chapters. I did not; however, like the battles leading up to the end (ie. flying out of Gringotts on a dragon, etc.). Throughout the novels I was always sure that Snape was good so that part really made the book for me. As far as the 19 years later...kinda sappy. I mean who marries someone they met when they were 11? I guess the wizarding world is just a bit small but I did think the epilogue tied up the loose ends that everyone was so curious about and it didn't leave much room for more books about Harry. Anyway, in a few words I liked it.

Andi and Demi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.